Who holds the Golden Shoe award?

Carolyn awarded Barbie to Kari for her fantastic performance at the Human Race. It sounds like Kari tore up the road and ran a fantastic race! Congratulations on a great race, Kari!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Quote of the Week from Ann Choi-Roloff

Ann, I hope you don't mind me adding this to the TU blog, but it is a fantastic message as we all face TC1 mile registration, upcoming marathons, and the struggles of daily life!




 "The only way out...is through." - Trent, my 2:30pm Bikram Yoga Instructor Yesterday
 
 
We all have those moments in life when "time stands still" and they often come at least suspecting times.
Sometimes they come at really odd moments, such as your Saturday Bikram Yoga class.
 
Yes. Really.
 
The moment is as clear as the sweat that was profusely dripping from my body.  I was really feeling the effects of the high heat and humidity of the room.  After coming out of an intense back bend pose, the teacher, Trent, said ""The only way out...is through."
 
At that split second, the dizziness in my head came to a screeching halt.
It was exactly what I needed to hear to get me through the rest of the session.
 
Naturally, it made me think about the challenges we face as runners.
And this brings me to an experience that I had this week that made me "face my fears."
 
Cheesy, I know, but stick with me.
 
I DREAD running one mile races.
I will gladly run 26.2 miles over the piddley mile.
 
But somehow I find myself at the start line of these one mile races, dry-heaving and all.
 
I was talking with a friend this past week about the upcoming TC 1 mile on May 7.  I told her that I would run the race, but would NOT run in the speedy USATF wave- even if my life depended on it!
 
She told me point blank that I was being ridiculous.
She was right.
 
Avoiding something that intimidates you is a weakness.
And surely, the only way out...is through.
 
With trembling fingers on coincidently (?) Friday March 13th, I signed up for the USATF wave at the upcoming TC 1 mile.
 
Now I turn the table to you and sincerely encourage you to try something this running season that you have avoided in the past because it intimidated you.
 
It could be to engage in more speedwork this training season.
It could be to run a really FAST 5K.
It could be to tackle that monstrous hill at Trail Mix.
It could be to do a triathlon.
The list goes on.
 
Whatever it may be, take control of it.
Don't let it control you.
And being extra bold, make it public.
Nothing like telling others of your intentions, brings your accountability to a stronger level.
 
Ok. Now that everyone knows that I will be running the USATF wave at TC 1 mile.  Make sure that I somehow don't meander into the mass general wave!! ;)
 
Take it to the next level, BLM Run Club.
 
 
 



Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list. Check it out.

3 comments:

Kirk said...

ACR-you are truly inspiring. I can't wait to cheer you in at the finish of the race...

Anonymous said...

Ann,
Thanks. Your message is so powerful. I plan to post that quote in several places in my home and draw strength from it. I truly admire your courage.

Heather Vietz

Team Unattached Runners said...

Ann, Thank you so much for your inspiration. I truly admire runners who possess "guts". I also love being around positve people who truly care about others! I have been running a LONG time and I have been around a lot of successful runners. Those who tend to run the best are those who have nothing to hide. Way to lay it on the line. You need to be able to risk failure in order to succeed! So walk up to every start line as if you own it! Thanks Ann! Deb